You will not pay anything when creating an account.
You can Install Gym Plan at no cost. You will only pay if you choose to subscribe using your Apple payment account, choosing either a monthly or annual membership. You will pay the price set for your country, as shown in the app.
Unlock the entire app of over 2500 highly effective workouts with video demonstrations, personalized calories and help via chat if needed.
Members automatically receive all new content releases instantly at no additional cost. Members get instant access to all app features, updates and bug fixes. Read more about subscriptions.
How you pay for your subscription
You pay your subscription using your Apple billing account (Apple ID) and all payments are managed by Apple.
As you do not pay us directly we never see or have access to your card details.
Apple retains up to 30% your membership fee and the remaining 70% less tax is sent to Gym Plan. For payment enquiries including refunds please contact Apple.
Subscriptions automatically renew if not cancelled within 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period. Your iTunes account will be charged for the next subscription period up to 24 hours prior to the current subscription expiring.
Subscriptions are non-refundable. We're not sure why you'd want to, but you can cancel or turn off auto renewal to stop any further payments anytime via your iTunes account.
The quickest way to cancel your subscription is inside of the app, by going to Account.
How to cancel your subscription
Inside the Gym Plan app go to Account then tap Change. Locate Gym Plan in your list of subscriptions and you have the option to cancel.
If you've deleted the app
- Go to Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on Apple ID, iCloud, Media & Purchases, next to your name at the top of the screen.
- Tap on Subscriptions.
- Tap on Gym Plan.
- Tap Cancel. (If you have an older version of iTunes you may need to turn the Auto-Renewal option to Off.)
What happens next.
After your current paid subscription period ends iTunes will no longer bill you.
If you ever decide you want to reactivate your membership you can do so either through the app or through the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad again like you just did above.